Water heating from heat created from air pump

In depth subjects relating to Airlift.

Water heating from heat created from air pump

Postby MarKaos » Sat 15 Sep 2018, 8:39:14

I'm in the process of putting an airlift system together to airate a pond which is about a third of an acre .
I'd like to hear people's experiences with water temperature as a result of the air pump.

Thanks in advance
MarKaos

Re: Water heating from heat created from air pump

Postby MarKaos » Mon 17 Sep 2018, 22:10:22

Can someone advise me where I can purchase 125mm sleave/ sock. Im having trouble getting everything to fit In the uk.
This system will be solar powered.
MarKaos

Postby Rich Palmisano » Wed 19 Sep 2018, 19:57:08

The process of moving water (I don't know your system design) from the bottom of a pond to the top via air lift will end the stratification of water levels. The cooler water below will be mixed to the warmer water above. Essentially this eliminate hot and cold zones in your pond.

The main benefit is to get oxygen to the bottom of the pond to help eliminate anaerobic activity. Once 'waste' settles on the bottom, it decomposes and uses tons of oxygen in the process, resulting in less oxygen for your pond. Once this condition starts your pond starts to die...
Rich Palmisano

Postby Pssymon » Sun 23 Sep 2018, 19:20:53

Hello,

Rich is right about moving the water and eliminating anaerobic activity to some extent.
I am unsure what you mean by using the heat of the air pump. The effect of the airlift on a pond that size will be minimal in terms of influencing the temperature. How many will you be using? It is said that running an air pump in winter will cool down the water somewhat. Which is why many koi keepers try to avoid it. As I understand it the air pump pumps the cold air into the pond, which is still retaining heat. Which causes it to cool down further. However I would think these effects are minimal on a third of an acre pond.
Pssymon

Postby Rich Palmisano » Wed 17 Oct 2018, 13:49:38

I read this incorrectly as well. I think the question is will pumping air tranfer heat to the pond water. In some cases, depending on the air pump and it's efficiency, it will generate heat. In a large pond, I would be inclined to think that heating effects of warm air from the pump would be minimal. In a smaller system, thinking 100's vs 1000's of gallons (400 vs 4000 liters...trying to use both units because this is a worldwide forum) it might have more of an effect on water temperature.
Rich Palmisano

Return to Technical discussion