air lift for 40m3 pond , paper to drill 1mm holes

In depth subjects relating to Airlift.
stiopa

air lift for 40m3 pond , paper to drill 1mm holes

Post by stiopa »

Hi Airlift team,

I want to built my air lift for my 40m3 pond.
I would like to get around 35/40m3/hr flow.
My main concern is energy cost saving.
I think to install few air lifts , I have seen a video with 12w air compressors.

Here are below my questions :

How much air lift I should get ?

I will built an external chamber with concrete blocks.
What about the dimension of chamber where all air lift will be installed ?

What about diameter of inlet pipe to supply the external chamber ?

What will be the pipe diameter for the outlet's air lifts to the pond ?

Where can I get 12w air compressor , they are not very popular for pond ?

Could you please send me the paper format to drill the 1mm holes on 110mm PVC pipe.

Thank you in advance for your answer !!

Stephane

Pssymon

Re: air lift for 40m3 pond , paper to drill 1mm holes

Post by Pssymon »

Hello Stephane,

About your questions:
stiopa wrote:Hi Airlift team,

I want to built my air lift for my 40m3 pond.
I would like to get around 35/40m3/hr flow.
My main concern is energy cost saving.
I think to install few air lifts , I have seen a video with 12w air compressors.

Yes, you are correct. At 12w a yield of 20.000 litres is possible at this time (in optimal conditions).

Here are below my questions :

How much air lift I should get ?

In theory you should be able to get your required flow with two pressure chamber lifts at 145cm long.

I will built an external chamber with concrete blocks.
What about the dimension of chamber where all air lift will be installed ?

If I understand correctly, the chamber will function as the collector where you place the Airlifts? If you want to build a chamber instead of using collectors, you would have to calculate the volume of the chamber (or build it bigger then you would ever need).
Normally one 110mm pressure chamber driven Airlift will require a collector with a 250mm diameter. So if you want to build a chamber for this purpose, I would calculate the volume of a 250mm tube at 170cm long, multiply the result by two (because you will be using two Airlifts) and you should find the required volume. The most important aspect is to make sure that the Airlifts can draw enough water, your chamber should not be a bottleneck. So maybe it would be a good idea to calculate the volume by multiplying the earlier result times three or four to be safe.

What about diameter of inlet pipe to supply the external chamber ?

Since you are going to run two Airlifts, it may require a really big inlet pipe (or multiple).
I will ask Marc to confirm, but I suspect two 160mm inlet pipes would be about right.
I will get back to you with a more detailed answer.

What will be the pipe diameter for the outlet's air lifts to the pond ?

Normally you would connect the outlet of the Airlift to a T-piece (or two, ideally), and after that a straight pipe of the same diameter can become the Airlift's outlet into the pond.
Since the Airlift is 110mm, these pieces should remain the same size. So the pipe diameter should be 110mm.

Where can I get 12w air compressor , they are not very popular for pond ?

You misunderstand, the actual power usage in our tests was 12w. This was achieved with a 20w pump. When these pumps have to perform at greater depth, the power consumption becomes lower.
The Secoh SLL-20 pump that was used will use 12w at 145cm deep, and 9w at 170cm deep.
It is a problem to find these pumps today, as they are no longer being produced. I would advise to use the Secoh JDK-30 as a replacement. We are planning to test various pumps in the future to get some new test results for other pumps, probably for the JDK-30 as well.

Could you please send me the paper format to drill the 1mm holes on 110mm PVC pipe.

The paper that is normally used is either rectangle paper (elongated) or normal squared paper.
Any office supply store should stock this paper. I think that is the easiest way to get it.

Thank you in advance for your answer !!

Stephane