Filter chambers higher than water level

In depth subjects relating to Airlift.
Wolvi

Filter chambers higher than water level

Post by Wolvi »

Hello! I am still an absolute beginner in the "Airlift" topic. I would like to build an airlift myself, but I have a general question, and hope you can help me.
My second filter chamber is slightly higher than the airlift, but the airlift is on pond niveau. Question: Is the airlift able to push the water level in the second chamber so high (10-15 cm)?
Arrangement of my system, see photo: http://www.prema-yoga.de/skizze.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Best wishes, and thanks for your help!!! :D

Pssymon

Re: Filter chambers higher than water level

Post by Pssymon »

Hi,

Thank you for the image. I can tell you immediately that this will not work. If you want to lift above water level, the filter cannot be connected to the main pond like this. If you absolutely have to lift your water then you need to return your water just above the waterline in the filter. However, doing this greatly lowers your yield and efficiency. Your top priority with Airlifts should always be an even water level in the pond and filter. I strongly advise you to use the system as it is intended and lower your filter. If efficiency is not important to you, and you absolutely wish to use the Airlift with discharge head, you could try it the way I described. Keep in mind that 10-15cm is already considerable discharge head for an Airlift.

Wolvi

Post by Wolvi »

Okay, thank you very much!
So I will put the filter down.... hope it works then! :)
Best wishes!!
:D

Pssymon

Post by Pssymon »

Remember to read the guides on the site. You absolutely need big transits between the filter and pond or your yield will suffer, even if everything is level.
Good luck!

Wolvi

Post by Wolvi »

Ok, I tested it, and basically the airlift is able to press the water in a higher filter chamber, but you are right, I think it lowers the efficiency.
But now, let me ask another question... of course I try to optimize the efficiency of my airlift.
Right now my airlift looks like version I. (with two 45 degree pipes)
Does the flow increase, if I put the air outlets closer to the riser?
And in general, is it better to use versions I. and II. or better use an single 90 degree angle, like in version III.?

See here: http://prema-yoga.de/bilder/Airlift-Optimum.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pssymon

Post by Pssymon »

Putting the T-pieces closer to the rising pipe can help your flow a bit, but I don't think it will have a large impact.
I am sure however, that the best way to go is to use the single 90 degree angle bend. This has been discussed here before and Marc confirmed this from experience.

Can you share some photos of your pond/Airlift?

Greetings!

Wolvi

Post by Wolvi »

Ok thank you very much! :D
So I will change the airlift a little bit. My filter system and pond are still under construction, and I am still testing, but when it's finished, I can - of course - share some photos. :D
Best wishes! :-)

Pssymon

Post by Pssymon »

Progress photos are welcome as well. Feel free to share them under 'Pond construction' if you want to that is. Either way is fine.