PVC pipe size availability

In depth subjects relating to Airlift.

PVC pipe size availability

Postby Siam_Jo » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 11:21:58

Hello Sir,

Thank you for sharing these kind info to us. It is amazing. I am in the process of designing my Koi Fish tank, and will definitely want to apply this air lift concept. I have one issue though, and seek your kind advice. PVC size available here in Thailand is only either 100mm, 125mm, 150mm, 200mm, and 250mm. There isn't any 110mm. So, I am wondering if I can just use 100mm instead of 110mm for the airlift riser? The lenght of the riser would be 170cm, per your design. The pressure chamber volume will be bigger in this case though. Would this 100mm riser compromise your airlift design? If so, what is the expected decrease in the efficient? Thank you in advance.
Siam_Jo

Re: PVC pipe size availability

Postby Pssymon » Wed 14 Feb 2018, 18:07:45

Hi,

In your case I would use 100mm. The difference in performance shouldn't be that large. A 125mm Airlift would require a stronger pomp so I would not do that in this case. The larger pressure chamber should not be a problem. I can't guarantee the same results as we have gotten, but I'm pretty sure you should be able to get at least 75-80% of the yield, which is still very energy efficient.

In roughly 4-6 months I should be able to test this here, and I will. So we will have a better understanding of how this impacts performance.
Pssymon

Postby Siam_Jo » Thu 15 Feb 2018, 17:09:10

Hi Pssymon,

Thank you for kind advice. Another question here please. You were using SLL20/30/40, which is Diaphargm pump, for the test. What we have available here are both Diaphargm and Rotary air Pumps. It seem like Rotary air pump would give higher Pressure output as compared to Diaphargm air pump though at the same WATT consumption.

May I know which would work best for your air lift design between Rotary and Diaphargm air pump? The higher the pump air pressure output, the higher the water flow would be?

regards, Jo
Siam_Jo

Postby Pssymon » Wed 21 Feb 2018, 14:00:35

In theory higher air pressure should give a higher flow. However, specifications from manufacturers usually do not take Airlift use into account. You need good pressure at depth at a low level of power consumption. I can only be sure about the performance of the pumps that already have been tested. I asked Marc to take a look at your question as he probably knows more about this.
Pssymon

Postby Pssymon » Tue 06 Mar 2018, 16:07:14

Apologies for my late response, I have asked Marc and this is what he told me.

A bigger pressure chamber is not a problem at all, as I expected. The difference between 110 or 100mm will be minimal indeed. How minimal, we don't know exactly.
100mm could perform a bit better in a situation where there is more drag in the filter or when there is slight discharge head. If not, 110mm will be a bit better.

About the pumps, diaphragm pumps have performed the best in the tests until now in terms of efficiency. I think due to the manufacturers specs that are available, the rotary pumps have not really been tested. It's something we could do in the future.

Aside from all this it's important to use the right pump and Airlift combination. If the pump is too strong for the Airlift, you will be wasting energy. If your Airlift is not the correct length, you will be wasting energy as well. Please use our tests results as a reference. Even if you can't get the exact same pumps that are used in the tests, you can probably get close with different pumps of the same wattage.

You can find the test results here:
viewtopic.php?f=118&t=15803
Pssymon

Postby Siam_Jo » Wed 14 Mar 2018, 15:22:33

Hi Pssymon,

Thank you very much for both yourself and Mr Marc. A very kind of you guys sharing the info and knowledge with the world.

I will renovate my house as well as building Koi Pond, and shall complete by end of the year. I am going to apply both Air lift and Sieve filter on this pond. I will post the update once they are done. Thanks.
Siam_Jo

Return to Technical discussion