Collector away from pond

In depth subjects relating to Airlift.
slk

Collector away from pond

Post by slk » 02 Oct 2018, 19:12

Hi,

I am planning to build new koi pond. Capacity about 85 m3. To run this I am going to build 4 pressure airlifts (110). Main problem is that my collector for airlifts will be about 5,5-6 meters from pond. Will it work?

Pssymon

Re: Collector away from pond

Post by Pssymon » 10 Oct 2018, 21:45

Hello slk and welcome,

Apologies for my late reply, I can only visit the site and reply using my phone for some reason. So it is a bit more difficult to keep up and reply. I'm looking into the problem (it seems I'm not the only one).

About your pond. If you run a heavy stocked koi pond, 4 airlifts would work well indeed to cycle the pond volume every hour (4 x 20.000L). This would be in ideal conditions, your real yield will be a bit lower but even if you would cycle your pond volume every two hours, that should still be more than enough.

To answer your question, yes you can place your collector(s) 5-6 meters from the pond if you have to. Just make sure that the pipe going from the collector into the pond slopes up slightly to prevent air getting trapped in the pipes. This only needs to be a 1cm rise over 3 meters if I recall correctly. I will try to find the topic where this was discussed to make sure. And as always, use two T-pieces for every airlift to allow the air to escape.

slk

Re: Collector away from pond

Post by slk » 11 Oct 2018, 18:26

Pssymon thank you very much for reply!

In the end I have decided to place 6 airlifts. 4 at the begining and then 2 more if there is a need.